The aimless musings of a guys whose bright ideas evaporate when commited to paper. Things that rattle around in my head include, life, politics, things Korean and of course variety meats.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Fact[free] Check(point)

I confess I felt quite pleased to hear that NPR's Morning Edition would be doing a segment on inter-Korean relations inspired by the opening of new border checkpoints between the two Koreas. My anticipation was largely in vain. The piece was as content-rich as a local news segment about a new shopping center being built downtown. Nowhere were the moral ambiguities of the new 'detente' between North and South addressed. In short, it was the opposite of what I've come to expect from NPR.


UPDATE
Well, I guess I owe NPR an apology. All Things Considered (3/15) had a very good story on the North Korea themed Yodok Story, a jaunty musical about Gulag-like prison camps. Really.
BTW I really do hate McCune-Reischauer transliteration and its elusive circumflex. I still don't know if the title is 여덕,요덕, 요독 or 여독.


In other news, if the Marmot recommends it, it must be a good idea.
The Korean Blogosphere

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally responded to your comment on that short story post. I have been kind of lax in responding to comments of late. For the longest time I thought your site was down. There are some serious load time issues over the past few weeks. I stuck with it today but it took nearly 10 minutes for the page to open. That's unheard of in Korea. ^^ Have you changed the template somehow that would increase the time and am I the only person who has mentioned it?

3/17/2006 9:30 PM

 
Blogger octaviuz said...

No problem. I appreciate the response but I don't necessarily expect it.

That lag might explain why my friend in Korea says she can't access the site. It loads in seconds over here, even on computers where its not cached. I have no idea why it loads slowly and I lack the diagnostic skill to figure it out.

3/20/2006 1:17 PM

 
Blogger future kteacher said...

as I know it's 요덕

5/26/2007 12:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home