The aimless musings of a guys whose bright ideas evaporate when commited to paper. Things that rattle around in my head include, life, politics, things Korean and of course variety meats.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Futility

As reported earlier on this very site, I took Level 2 of the KPT last year. As I am in the US this year I decided to study the next two levels and take Level 4 next year.
plans... mice... men.... blah blah blah
This plan of mine depended on one basic assumption; proportionality. I figured that Level 3 would be as hard for me now as Level 2 was before I started studying for it and by that same logic that 4 would be the same once I mastered 3.
Well, there were at least three major flaws with that assumption. The simplest is that levels don't have to be equidistant and they rarely are. I should know this from teaching ESL (I think that's supposed to be EFL). The second is that I had lived in SK for around two years when I started studying for Level 2, I had a preexisting base of knowledge. The third is related to the second, I was living in SK at the time and learning and practicing everyday. Now I'm in the States where most of what I do with Korean is forgetting. So, given my world-renowned powers of concentration, I'm pretty sure I'll be ready to take the Level 1 by next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home